This is by far my favourite salad this summer, best part of it is its ability to keep in the fridge for a few days which means less time in the kitchen and less dishes!
For the Salad & Dressing
- 2 medium bunches destemmed kale (I use the curly kale), finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon or lime juice (I prefer lime)
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 handfuls dried sweetened cranberries, for garnish
For the Pecans
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
- 1.5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pinches fine grain sea salt
- Optional: Use 1.5 tbsp of coconut sugar to coat pecans instead of nutritional yeast.
Preheat the oven to 300F. Spread the pecans onto a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 8-10 minutes until fragrant and lightly golden.
Remove the stems from the kale and discard (you can save for juicing if you are hard core!). Finely chop the kale leaves (the smaller, the better!).
Place dried kale into a large bowl.
For the dressing: Throw garlic, lemon or lime juice, oil, salt and pepper into blender and pulse until well blended. Add to the kale and massage with hands or toss with spoons. Keep mixing for about 1 minute to ensure everything is coated perfectly.
For the pecans: Add in the nutritional yeast, oil, and salt to the pecans and mix until they are fully covered.
Sprinkle the pecans all over the salad. Toss on a handful or two of dried cranberries and serve!